Please Note: On or after September 1, 2017, customers paying by debit or credit card in person or online will be charged a 2.4% service fee for transactions. Review the press release for more information.
The inspections that follow the issuance of the permit are required to ensure that work completed on your project meets current building codes and standards. Unsatisfactory work, faulty materials or violations of the code could result in unsafe and hazardous conditions for you, your family, your employees or the general public.
You will need to have your project inspected before any work is covered up. Inspections are conducted from the ground up and in a specific defined order. You may not move forward in your construction without passing each inspection. For example, you will need to have wiring inspected before putting up any drywall materials.
- Building Inspectors will not take inspection requests over the phone or in the field.
- Do not rely on cellular phones to schedule inspections due to transmission difficulties.
- Do not call for inspections on permit numbers that begin with "WTS."
- We are unable to accommodate appointments.
1. Request an Inspection
All inspections must be requested using the City's Automated Phone Permit Access (IVR) system.
See also: Inspection Request Procedure (PDF)
Please provide the following information by following the IVR prompts:
- Permit Number
- Inspection Code (IVR inspection codes (PDF))
- Contact phone number
All information must be complete and accurate, otherwise the inspection may not be made.
2. Inspection Schedule
- Inspection requests made before 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, will be completed the following working day.
- Inspection requests made after 3 p.m. Friday, and during the weekend, will be completed the following Tuesday.
3. Inspection Requirements
- Please have all plans on the job site at the time of the inspection.
- The project address must be visible from the street.
- The stamped "approved" set of plans must be on the site and readily accessible.
- Any changes to the stamped plans must be resubmitted to the Building Safety Division for additional review, and then returned to the project site before calling for an inspection that involves the change.
- There must be an adult (18 years or older) present for inspection of the interior of an occupied building.
- If an adult cannot be present for an inspection of the exterior of an occupied building, a note must be left on the gate of any fenced area giving permission for the inspector to enter the area.
If you would like to speak with a Building Inspector, please call 209-577-5232 between 7:30-8 a.m.
Related Forms & Handouts
- Automated Phone Permit Access (IVR) Inspection Activity Codes (PDF): A complete list of inspection activity codes that you will use to schedule your inspections (These are grouped by permit types)
- Building Comments and Rejection Codes List (PDF): These codes will assist you in interpreting the corrections and comments left by the field inspector after your inspection is made
- Inspection Request Procedure (PDF): Provides a brief overview of the City's Automated Phone Permit Access system (Spanish Document: El Procedimiento del Pedido de Inspeccion (PDF))
- Inspection Requirements (PDF): Procedural requirements when requesting an inspection
- IVR Brochure (PDF): Tri-fold quick reference guide